The Motobilt back half kit is the most complete on the market. This kit replaces the back section of frame rails to allow space to clear coilover shocks and increase departure angle. How does the back half kit do this? The Motobilt kit moves the frame rails from inside the wheel opening to the bottom side of the tube. In doing so the bumper location is moved up to just below the tailgate. This kit requires an experienced welder/fabricator to install.
Building custom four link suspension on a Jeep does not have to be difficult. The Motobilt back half kit is an effective way to gain clearance for suspension components like coilovers shocks, bypass shocks, or ORI struts. The Back-Half Kit moves the frame rails to the bottom side of the tube. The frame rails will mount directly to the bottom side of the rear floorboard for a tight compact fit. It should be noted the kit requires cutting sheet metal on the body just below the tailgate to allow the frame rails to extend out. The bumper is then attached in this new location. The Motobilt kit comes complete with a rear bumper.
What does the Motobilt back half kit include? The kit includes 7 parts total in the shipment. Two lower frame rails sections and two upper frame rail sections. The installer will join the upper and lower sections together during the mockup stage of the installation. The fifth part is the rear bumper assembly. The rear bumper comes complete with 3/4-inch-thick d-ring mounts. The kit also comes with two end caps for the bumper and frame. These are welded in place to attach the rear bumper.
All the parts of this kit other than the d-ring mounts are fabricated from 3/16-inch-high strength steel plate and formed on a press brake. Unlike some of the other kits on the market we do not require you to purchase square tubing to complete the project. With that said we provide a flat point on the back center of the rear bumper for the installer to triangulate some round tubing if required. The 3/4-inch-thick high strength steel plate d-ring mounts pass all the way through the rear bumper and weld in place on both sides for ultimate strength. The d-rings have a 1-inch hole in them.
- Fabricated from 3/16-inch-high strength steel plate
- Press brake formed
- 3/4-inch-thick high strength steel plate d-ring mounts
- Sold as kit
Kit includes 7 parts total in the shipment
- Two lower frame rails sections and two upper frame rail sections
- The installer will join the upper and lower sections together during the mockup stage of the installation
- The fifth part is the rear bumper assembly. The rear bumper comes complete with 3/4-inch-thick d-ring mounts
- The kit also comes with two end caps for the bumper and frame. These are welded in place to attach the rear bumper
- This kit will not work with the factory gas tank. Most people mount a fuel cell in the bed of the Jeep
- The kit will not work with the factory coil springs
- This kit is designed for more advanced Jeep builds where suspension and driving requirements demand more space and clearance
- We provide a flat point on the back center of the rear bumper for the installer to triangulate-some round tubing if required
- A body lift isNOTrequired.
- When installing do not remove the body as the factory body mounts in the center of the floorboard are used to locate the back-half kit when installing.
- The frame needs to be cut at the beginning of the bend. The frame rail section must be straight for the new frame rail sections to slide over the factory frame rails.